The connection between corporate strategy and operations management is often blurry. Operational staffs focusing on lean management may ensure efficiency in day to day operations but reduce their ability to plan long term. Managers are so consumed by daily fire fights that analysis and planning for future operations often falls by the wayside.
Operations executives need to be able to answer questions such as:
- How will operations impact corporate strategy in the future?
- Which additional capabilities should we develop?
- What emerging technologies will affect operations and how?
- How will our organization need to change?
- What projects do we need to start now to prepare for change?
- Long term operations planning
- Organizational analysis
- Service / process improvement
- Supply chain management
- IT blueprinting